Friday, November 7, 2008

First Impressions: Gears of War 2 Single Player Campaign (Xbox 360)

I managed to pick up my Gears of War 2 Limited Edition earlier today and cram some gametime in and needless to say, I was impressed.  For those wondering, the limited edition comes with an art book, special packaging, a free DLC code for a gold plated lancer assult rifle for multiplayer, and a free DLC code for a Gears of War 2 theme that has been optimized for the NXE.  Both versions of the game come with a free DLC code for a 5 map map-pack for multiplayer and a 48 hour trial of XBL.  The game appears to be told from more of a narrative vs how the first Gears game was.  I'm playing through on the Hardcore difficulty on my first time through the game and I am impressed with a number of things.  First and foremost would be the enemy AI.  Sometimes you feel like you're playing online against actual people because the locusts really work as a team.  They hide in seperate areas and when you go after one, the other attacks and vice versa.  They also heal each other when they are almost dead just like you can do in co-op.  I have only come accross one new gun so far, that being the Hammerburst assult rifle.  It's a powerful assult rifle that shoots as fast as you can click the trigger.  It has a bit of recoil but is definitely a fun gun.  The graphics are beautiful (as expected) and the sound is as well (same as GoW1).  I have yet to play in Co-op or online so there isn't really anything I can say about it at this time but I wanted to post this for the people who were wondering if this is as good as the first.  The answer is, no.  It is much better than the first.  I'd say it's a must-have for Xbox 360 owners.


-CA

No comments: