Sunday, November 2, 2008

HD Confusion

Ok. I know I'm probably not the first person that's wondered this, but maybe i should be the first to mention it. I recently got a chance to compare the specs of both the 360 and PS3 versions of Fallout 3. I was surprised to find out that the PS3 version is in 720p, while the 360 version is in full HD 1080p greatness. Now, tell me how this is possible! 360 games are on dual-layer DVDs (12.4GB), and PS3 games are on dual-layer bluray discs (50GB). Why would a game with such an open world and countless features be able to run in 1080p off of a DVD? Either Microsoft is lying or Sony is holding back.

Now, this has happened with certain games, where I notice a difference in graphics during gameplay. Games such as Grand Theft Auto IV on 360 look amazing, while on PS3 it looks dismal. While playing GTA:IV (hooked up component, mind you, not HDMI) the explosions are the most realistic I've ever seen. Then I played my buddy's copy on PS3.......not as exciting. My question is: why? Bioshock also looks loads better on 360, than the PS3 port.

With Sony's "amazing 8-core cell processor", its possible that things like this are just too hard to program, which hurts the look of the game. But, Uncharted doesn't look so bad. LittleBigPlanet looks amazing. So what's their excuse? We may never know......

If anybody is able to answer this question, please comment.

Thanks for reading

-JD

PS: Nintendo? You're next.....

No comments: